IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR NEW CHIP CARD
Your card now includes a chip.
Energy One’s debit cards now have the latest chip technology, providing an added layer of security with greater protection against fraud.
Your chip card will make traveling easier.
The chip now on your Energy One debit card will also make traveling easier and more convenient due to its wide acceptance. Your card continues to have the traditional magnetic stripe on the back, enabling you to use it at merchants without chip-enabled terminals.
How it Works
- Merchants, such as a grocery store, may ask you to insert your card into the terminal or they may ask you to swipe the magnetic stripe
- If you’re asked to insert the card, look for a slot on the bottom-front of the terminal and insert your card face up with the chip first
- Leave your card in the terminal unit the transaction is complete
- The terminal will prompt you to sign or enter a PIN to validate your identity
- Take your card when prompted and don’t leave it behind
Energy One Federal Credit Union Card Fees
Energy One’s standard card has a brilliant blue design. New debit card holders will receive this card, along with any regularly scheduled renewals, at no charge. For other replacements, or to upgrade to a different card design, there will be a $10 fee.
Note: Members with a Premier One checking account who are placing their first-time card order may upgrade to a premium debit card design at no charge. Members with other checking account types may also upgrade to a premium card design for a $10 fee. Available EMV/chip card designs are displayed below.
EMV frequently asked questions
When will I receive my new EMV card?
Energy One Federal Credit Union will be issuing the EMV cards in mid-May. Members should receive their card by the end of May.
Will my card number change?
Your new card will be the same card number, but will have a new expiration date and a new three-digit security code on the back of the card.
How do I activate my new card?
Activate your new card by calling 1-800-992-3808. You will be given the option to keep your current PIN or select a new one.
After activation, destroy your old card right away for security purposes.
Provide your new card information to merchants you’ve set up for automatic payments to ensure future charges are approved.
Why am I receiving a new card?
Your card now includes chip technology. You’ll enjoy global acceptance plus an enhanced level of security.
What should I do with my existing Visa debit card?
Once you activate your new card, please destroy your existing card for security reasons.
Where can I use my chip card?
You can use your card at millions of places that accept Visa, at home and around the world.
Can I still swipe my card to pay?
Yes, if a merchant is not yet chip-enabled, simply swipe your card. Keep in mind, you may be prompted to sign or enter a PIN to make the purchase.
Your card will have the same 16-digit number, but it will have a new expiration date and a new three-digit security code on the back. Be sure to update your information with merchants who charge your card regularly.
Your PIN will remain the same, but you do have the option to change it during the activation call. Your overall account (or member) number does not change.
Will I have to pay any fees to use my chip card?
No. There are no additional fees to use your new card.
How do I make a purchase with my new chip card?
For EMV-enabled retailers, just follow these easy steps:
- Insert the chip portion of the card into the terminal with the chip facing up and follow the prompts on the terminal’s screen
- You may be asked for a signature or a PIN to complete the transaction
- Leave the card in the terminal until the purchase is complete (if you remove the card too soon, the transaction may be canceled)
- Be sure to remove your card after the purchase, as you may not be prompted
For retailers who are NOT yet EMV-enabled:
- Simply swipe your card through the terminal
- Complete your transaction by either signing or entering your PIN, as prompted